Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fucking Homer

Or, how long can I procrastinate writing this paper on the Iliad?


My apologies to the classicists out there but if I have to relate one more thing to the Iliad I am going to curl up into a tiny ball and cry. Also, blogging is great procrastination.


Here's something entirely unrelated to the book-that-must-not-be-named: Monkey socks! And no-purl ones, at that. They're for my mum since she refuses to wear the first pair of socks that I knit her, since they "might get holes in them." I figure if I absolutely overwhelm her with hand-knit socks they'll lose their novelty and she'll actually start wearing them.

Somehow I missed the whole Monkey sock brouhaha (I am always late on the uptake. Always. I somehow manage to find out about all these patterns like six months after everyone decided they were overdone) and never particularly liked the pattern. Then I saw no-purl Monkeys and my life was changed forever. I am madly in love with this pattern. It's perfect for variegated yarn but more elastic than Jaywalkers. I want to knit 353263 more pairs.

For the record, I saw one person comment on how no-purl Monkeys may be the product of latent purl hatred, and let me state that I am probably the biggest fan of purling out there. I just hate reverse stockinette. Speaking of which, I have a leg warmer disaster to post one of these days...



IMG_3340

One may be bigger than the other. For some reason my socks have been turning out different sizes lately. Evil wizards.

IMG_3348

(As you may be able to tell, I have stopped shaving my legs. Viking Boy is less thrilled than I am.)

IMG_3351

It's like a whole different fabric than the original.



Pattern: No Purl Monkeys by Cookie A/Crafty Pancake. That's the Ravelry link, if you don't have Ravelry the original pattern is here. As one would guess, just don't purl. That's it.
Yarn: KPPPM...I keep the ball bands, but the color numbers mean nothing to me so I don't know which this is. Such is the Koigu curse.
Needles: Silvalume #1 DPNs, as per usual.

No comments: