Monday, November 12, 2007

What have I done?

Put the down payment on 14 special-ordered balls of Scottish Tweed 4-ply, that's what. $68. Because I am spending $140 to knit an entire sweater out of fingering weight yarn. A sweater with two cabled panels; the rest entirely stockinette. Now that I've typed that I realize the true insanity of the task I am about to undertake.

Rationalizations I've come up with so far:

1. My last (and only) sweater I've knit was out of worsted on 9s. I never wore it. Ever. It grew after blocking, made me look 20 pounds heavier and I gave it to my best friend Hana for Christmas. This time I want a sweater I can actually wear. I am willing to put in the work.

2. I'll finally have a project I can knit while actually watching movies. We watch upwards of five movies a week; it'll be done in no time. I can probably finish a whole sleeve during an extended edition of Lord of the Rings (right..).

3. I could have gotten the yarn for cheaper online, I know this, but Sally at Close Knit was so helpful every time I went in there for knit night and made her talk tweeds with me that I felt absolutely obliged to give her the purchase. Too many knit shops in Portland have been closing lately.

4. After finally reading a copy of At Knit's End, I have realized that I may or may not be a gauge snob. I should..do..what..I like?


5. I might just be a masochist.

No comments: